Friday, August 14, 2020

Celebrate What You Don't Think You Can

Weird, right? 

We don't think about celebration that way. I first heard of this idea from Dave Ellis, transformational leader and author of Falling Awake. I really thought it sounded like an oxymoron.

And, in a way it is. But it's also access to finding that silver lining, no matter how dark the cloud.

This idea is what's kept me going, among other practices, during the past five months of Covid-19. While I certainly don't celebrate the ever-increasing death toll or the long term suffering people are experiencing, I have SOO many celebrations from this time. The first of which is that it allowed me to realize how much of my life was being gifted to others and not really being used for what I wanted to be doing - working more hours at my part-time job than I wanted to because they needed help, volunteering somewhere because they were short-handed, etc. What I realized is that it was my way of not being responsible (respond-able) for the things I SAID I was committed to. But if I'm spread thin, those don't get the attention they need, do they? Ahhh, the excuses.

But surely, Marjorie, you can't celebrate something like death or murder? Well, again, while I would never ever celebrate the suffering of another, there are often celebrations to be found. George Floyd's death, for example, sparked a revolution our country was desperate for. 

It's a difficult transition to make, mentally. We're so programmed to focus on what's wrong. Heck, turn the news on for five minutes and you'll see what I mean. We're also programmed to think in either/or. This idea requires some powerful both/and thinking. What do I mean by all that? 

Either/or -- something bad happened, I have to be sad or mad, I can't be happy. 
Both/and -- something bad happened, I can be sad AND I can also focus on the gem that comes from it.

If you think about it, we're making diamonds. It's pressure and heat that turns rock into diamonds. It's water cutting away at stone that created beautiful canyons. Beauty often comes from struggle. The most gentle souls often have the most difficult upbringing and childhood experiences.

Embrace it. Hold it and don't push it away. The pain and hurt is part of our growth, as much as we don't want to endure it. That's where taking on celebrating what you don't think you can makes subtle shifts in your life, and, little by little, as you practice any new habit, you'll notice your life is fuller and richer for it. 

I'd love to hear in the comments about what you've celebrated! 

Photo by Pineapple Supply Co. on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment