Friday, August 21, 2020

Self-Expression and Professionalism

 I've been thinking a lot this past week about my "professional image" and who and how I want to be online. As I see it, there are two options for me. 


Option 1 - Be careful what I post, present a professional image, essentially edit myself

Option 2 - Allow myself to be fully self-expressed and trust that those who want to work with me will, and those that don't will be weeded out naturally


Now, when I talk about fully self-expressed, I'm not talking about much different from what I normally post. However, perhaps a little more "colorful" language. Perhaps a little more politics. Perhaps a little more social justice. A little more ME

I've been coached to NOT do Option 2. And I get it. Present myself as a professional. However, when I really get still and check in with myself, intuitively it seems that more open self-expression would allow for some pre-weeding, so to speak. People who connect with me know they connect with ME, not just some image I'm presenting. It seems to me this supports both me and my potential clients. Don't we enjoy following people on social media that we relate to? That we feel are expressing OUR beliefs, thoughts, concerns, and sense of humor?

But where is that line? 

Where's the line between too formal and too informal? 

I love it when my coach "tells one on herself." I can relate to her and her humanity, and often I can find myself in it. But what if she really let it all hang out? How would I feel then? 

I guess this blog post is less of a blog and more of a poll. I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Is this a shift in how people do business that I'm present to, like so many other cultural shifts that have happened in the past few years? Or am I bringing casualness to something that I shouldn't?

What do you think?

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment